Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hugh Masakela

Saw this concert at the Opera House.

I think I was in a different reality to some other people at the concert. Music was fine, what you would expect from an internationally renowned artist.

Indeed the Hemispheres series at the Opera House is fantastic, showcasing some truly amazing artists.

However, for me, this concert didn't do it for me. I actually found it a bit annoying that Masekala chastised the audience for being stuff shirts in ties and not getting down, then proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes doing his mine shaft number about death - not exactly stuff to get you dancing in the aisles.

I guess it doesn't really matter when the audience is eating out of your hand because you are a legend.

And what was the dialogue about being born in Nottinghamshire, the bad fake English accent and the story about then being washed down the river to South Africa? On what level was that entertaining or amusing? I so didn't get it.

Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: