Sunday, May 06, 2007

From war to technology futures

This week's touch of culture was Stories in the Dark, by Deborah Oswald, performed by ATYP - Australian Theatre for Young People. A mixture of folk tales and the grim reality of life in a war torn city.

For some reason as I was watching it I was thinking Sarajevo. I visited Sarajevo when Yugoslavia existed. It was a beautiful city. On the surface it certainly seemed to be working as a melting pot.

One wonders what happened to the people we met, how can one think of a future when faced with such a bleak reality? When you scratch the surface of a civilisation how quickly it can unravel.

The script is good, I found the first half a bit rambling, but it certainly came together by the end. Worth seeing it is on at Riverside, Parramatta.

As a contrast I went to CEBIT this week, the future of technology, or so they say. I love my technology, but you know I also love the feel of putting pen to paper and the endless possibilities that are before you when you start a new book. Beautiful white pages, perhaps the appeal is that it is finite, not like a computer screen which has the possibility to go on for what seems forever.

Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au