Sunday, May 06, 2007

Music @ The Factory


Ok, so I have this idea that there is an incredible amount of talent in Sydney at the moment. The most fantastic musicians, who deserve a wider audience.

I also see huge audiences for jazz music at Festival events, or for international guest artists. In my mind I am wondering why there seems to be such a huge gap from people who enjoy this genre and people who are experiencing local musicians. Certainly, the talent of the Australian musicians is world class and I guess the proof is in how well they are doing overseas.

So through a series of events, I find myself in the process of producing a concert series - the theme is great music in friendly, lush surroundings. A common underlying factor for the performances is a jazz influence, but not to the extent where it overtakes the incredible diversity and range of what music is today.

In the best traditions I am going through the motions, researching, lots of talking to people, sourcing funding, finding interesting combinations of artists. Can I turn this idea into reality? I think I can - here's to 2008 and Places and Spaces.

Suggestions or comments as to what would make this work are welcome.

Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: