Sunday, June 24, 2007

Divine Harmonies, gypsy and jazz

It was one of those week's where I had so many things planned, but best laid plans were knocked out by a cold and lots of rain and some bitterly cold nights.

So I didn't get started until Thursday to see Divine Harmonies, (image from the show) a triple bill program by Tasdance featuring the works of Sue Healey, Anna Smith and Sean Parker.

It was an enjoyable program, with references to Hildegard von Bingen in Sean Parker's work. The choreography was intriguing, however the dancing, particularly in the initial movements of the piece and the trio by the male dancers did not do justice the piece. Although the dancers had relaxed towards the end, for me their movements were missing the fluidity and lyricsm of von Bingen's music.

The spoken word by the two female dancers was a curiosity to me in the sheer "Australian-ness" of the accents, when set against the music - glorious harmonies of this European composer.

Sue Healey's piece was playful and fun. The work by Anna Smith more intense. Both composed to the music of Ben Walsh and I would have to agree with Jill Sykes criticism that there was a sameness to the works. Although I differed in that I enjoyed Ben Walsh's sound scapes/music.

From there it was onto music with the jazz ensemble, the catholics at the Sound Lounge. Take the best musicians and you really can't go wrong.

For Saturday it was onto the more sombre world of a Leonard Cohen tribute by Monsieur Camembert. In fact, some of the Cohen sounded rather upbeat when played with a gypsy swing feel. Sadly I had to miss the second half when it was M Camembert doing fun numbers, however I have to say I was pretty satisfied with the Cohen, particularly the pieces sung by Yaron.


Joanne Kee
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: