Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Yacoubian Building




Image from the Sydney Film Festival site


What a powerful and amazing film to come out of Egypt.

172 minutes - I have to admit if I had known how long the movie was beforehand I might not have gone. Though I was really glad that I had the opportunity to see this film.

What I find most incredible was the topics covered by the film from corruption, homosexuality, misogyny, poverty, religion. The acting which was so sympathetic and genuine and the ability of the director to allow us to engage with all the lead roles.

Having been to Egypt myself, though only as a tourist, I could relate to the role of women in society there - low with no power, with men feeling they have the right to treat them as sex objects. We had also seen the poverty, though of course not to any meaningful extent, but had seen the fact that being rich and driving a mercedes trumps over some poor person being run over by same car.

The first screening was sold out, but it is on again tomorrow night. Definitely worth seeing.

Joanne Kee
www.womenandwealth.com.au
www.ceressolutions.com.au

No comments: